Ole Fashioned Cornbread
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups plain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 1 heaping tsp of baking powder
- 1 heaping tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 heaping tbsp margarine
- 1 to 1 1/2 fresh cracklings may be added
- 1 small can Mexi corn may be added with 1 small chopped jalapeno pepper
Beat together eggs and margarine.
Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.
When oven is preheated to 400° and you are ready to bake, mix wet ingredients into dry. If not at pouring consistency when mixed, add more milk.
Pour into a greased iron skillet and bake for approx. 20 mins. til golden brown.