- 1-1/2 lb fresh spinach, uncooked
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, finely chopped
- reserved bacon fat, for dressing
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup grated or diced carrots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper, fresh ground
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1 cup mixed cheeses, grated (use any cheese of your choice)
Wash spinach carefully several times to get rid of all sand. Or buy pre-washed and trimmed fresh spinach, give it a quick wash and dry well.
Place spinach in a bowl, add peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots, bacon and eggs.
Combine oil and vinegars in second bowl. Add salt, pepper, garlic and sugar. Mix well.
When ready to serve, pour dressing and warm bacon grease together and whisk until blended.
Pour over spinach, toss well and serve. Sprinkle with grated cheese.